Home    FAQ   Suchen   Mitgliederliste   Benutzergruppen   Registrieren   Profil   Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen   Login     

interview zu Bjorks "cocoon"

Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
M
Site Admin

blank.gif

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Jun 16, 2003 5:13 pm    interview zu Bjorks "cocoon" Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

The beat of "Cocoon" sounds almost like a needle scratching on a vinyl record. How did you get that effect?

"Yeah, in that particular song the beat was done by Thomas Knak. He's Danish, and he actually did click noises from the synth. What is actually quite interesting is that I have one sample on this record -- and it's on "Unison" -- and it's from this band called Oval, who have been one of my favorite bands for a few years, and they actually DJ. [Leader] Markus Popp would actually take CDs and scratch them, and put them on the turntable machine; then he would play off of that.

And the good thing about that is, it's sort of conquering the fact that most people think that technology is cold because it has no mystery, and it's very calculated, and blah, blah, blah.

So when you take technology and use the areas where it breaks, where it's faulty, you're entering a mystery zone where you can't control it. It's reacting more like an animal or a person to you, and you have to react with it. It's not like you tell it what to do and then it does it, like a controlled, cold thing. But you take a knife, scratch a CD, put it on, and it will skip. You don't know what's going to happen.

I guess the same thing happens with guitarists. I mean, 34 years ago Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townshend would make everything distort. These guitar amps were not made for that. But they went into the area that the people who made the amp didn't want them to go because it would go out of control, and it would be wild again like nature, you know, and raw. I think you can find rawness and nature in anything if you just want to."
[CDnow, august 2001]

no comment cool
mehr auf:
http://unit.bjork.com/specials/cocoon/

HiddenBenutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenICQ-Nummer    
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu: